The semester had just ended with the school’s Foundation Day show.  I’ve started thinking about what the kids can do during the break as early as last month.  Careful planning is needed as budget is tight, and we’ve also been itching to go on a road trip (once the baby is easier to handle). 

Pressure built on me as classes was increasingly devoted to rehearsals for the show.  Nothing concrete happened until the last day when we saw parents of other kids and invites for parties started turning out.

So it won’t be boring after all.  Here’s the list so far:

  1. The semestral breakers hit off with two birthday parties in separate days but coincidentally in the same restaurant of a global fast food chain.
  2. A sleepover for my eldest together with her small group of friends.
  3. Halloween trick-or-treating for everyone.  It will be our kids’ first to actually roam about house to house, as we were contented with preparing candies and handing out treats to neighborhood kids in the past.  So with an old dress and crown for our eldest, a hand-me-down superhero costume for our toddler, and a cheap mask, paraphernalia and costume used in the show for our son, my wife and I came up with an activity that our kids could look forward to in the next few days.
  4. A get-together with some friends and their kids that we’ve been putting off is finally going to happen on Sunday.  It’s also an opportunity to try a barbecue recipe my wife got from an online friend across the globe.
  5. A family gathering to celebrate my brother’s birthday and a visit to my mom’s grave are scheduled for tomorrow.

So what I feared to be a long and expensive semester break might not be too bad after all.  I still have a few more days to fill before school is back again, so some more ideas not involving travel and a lot of spending would be greatly appreciated.  Would you be so kind to let me know?




Bookmark and Share



Subscribe in a reader

7 comments
  1. Anton October 31, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

    Scary movie marathon worked for me & my sister when we were kids during Halloween. Can't do it yet with my 3-mo old daughter. But your kids are old enough I guess.

  2. Papa Sez November 1, 2009 at 11:41 PM  

    Ah yes Anton. It is also sort of a tradition for my family to watch series of movies (& to dive into popcorn and chips while at it) during breaks or vacation times. However, we have refrain from watching horror flicks at home to avoid "bad dreams". Interestingly though, my eldest who had a sleepover yesterday (Halloween) had a taste of a scary movie together with her friends. It did scare them and so they prayed hard so that they won't have a bad dream. Thankfully, their prayers were answered, she told me. Thanks for the suggestion...appreciate it.

  3. Zgob November 5, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

    I love breaks!!! During the break my whole family (which is really just the 3 of us) had the chance to engage in a needed "lazy day" (Nov2), virtually spending the whole day in bed huddled together. EJ was recovering from her lack-of-sleep-over time with her friends, and my wife and i simply needed to spend a little more time sleeping in. I also had the chance to read 2 chapters of a new book i borrowed from a friend. Very stimulating read! WE DO NEED BREAKS! This is something that is intrinsic in nature's design. God designed the principle of "sabbath rest" to remind us of this. Thankfully the world has not completely forgotten (we still have the 'sabbaticals' as we call them).

    By the way Jo's barbecue was DELICIOUS. Hen, lucky you! Thanks

  4. Papa Sez November 6, 2009 at 7:14 AM  

    Glad we all enjoyed last Sunday's barbecue gig. Indeed, my wife is a wonderful cook and great mom! And I'm just so lucky! Looking forward to the next get-together. Cheers!

  5. Anne @ Green Eggs and Moms October 21, 2011 at 6:04 PM  

    This is old but this information might be useful for others.

    Sem break is definitely a great time for parents & kids to bond. No need for expensive trips, simple & unique ideas will do (bit.ly/pOQJOd)

  6. Anonymous September 5, 2021 at 2:28 AM  
  7. Anonymous September 6, 2021 at 4:21 AM  
Related Posts with Thumbnails